National Candidate Category: United States Senator
Jeff’s entire career has been animated by a simple philosophy that he learned from his parents: that each of us has a responsibility to make the community, the nation, and the planet a better place.
- Making College More Affordable
- Improving Oregon's Schools
As our Senator, Jeff took on the big banks, Wall Street, and even China in order to make college more affordable, strengthen the middle class and protect jobs here at home. Jeff is a proven champion for Oregon’s small businesses and manufacturers, and he will always fight for the middle class.
- Creating good-paying jobs.
- Investing in infrastructure.
- Job Creation through Energy Efficient Manufacturing Act
Jeff was instrumental in Wall Street reform, cracking down on predatory mortgage lending and banning risky trading by big banks. Jeff also championed the creation of a Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to help level the playing field and put billions of dollars back in the pockets of consumers.
- Bring Jobs Home Act, legislation that would end tax breaks for corporations that ship jobs overseas and provide a new tax credit to help companies bring jobs back to America.
- Tax fairness - that would force millionaires and billionaires to pay their fair share.
Jeff believes access to quality, affordable health care is not a privilege, but a basic human right.
- Protect Social Security and Medicare
- Supported the Affordable Care Act
- 100 percent pro-choice
He is committed to strengthening our Social Security system and ensuring that future generations of Americans can receive all of the benefits that they are promised.
- Opposes proposals that would privatize Social Security or cut benefits
- Introduced the Fair Raises for Seniors Act to make sure benefits don't lose value to inflation.
- Cosponsored legislation to protect Medicare’s guaranteed benefits because he understands that it’s an important lifeline for our seniors.
- Lowering the cost of prescription medication
Advocating for Women and Families
- equal pay for equal work
- reproductive and health care decisions without government interference
- Paycheck Fairness Act
- Increase the minimum wage
Tackling Climate Change
Jeff understands Congress needs to wake up. Climate change is real, and is deeply disastrous for both our local economy and our world.
- Expand the use of solar and wind power
- Cut pollution from coal-fired power plants
- Advocate for new programs that would offer low-cost loans for energy saving retrofits that would save money for consumers, and reduce energy use.
Our veterans have served their country with honor and deserve the utmost respect from our nation for their sacrifice, and Jeff is committed to the nearly 320,000 veterans living in Oregon.
- Expanding education benefits for military families
- job assistance to help ease the transition to civilian life
- Grant full education benefits to military spouses who lose their partners in the line of service.
- Supports legislation that improves veterans’ health services by helping family caregivers, expanding services for women veterans, assisting homeless veterans, and supporting veterans living in rural areas
- Wants to extend the full VA benefits received by our Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines to members of the National Guard.
Jeff is committed to a foreign policy that uses every tool available to make the United States safer and stronger, and knows that those tools are often not military.
- More transparency on the government surveillance in the U.S
- Bring all troops home from Afghanistan
Making Washington Work for Working Families
It used to be that if you worked hard and played by the rules, you could get ahead. Now it seems like the special interests get to write the rules while middle class families are squeezed by declining wages, a crippling financial crisis, and a housing crash that left may families facing foreclosure.
- End to the predatory mortgage lending practices that led to the financial crisis
- Supports the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Opponent of the Citizens United Supreme Court decision that allows unlimited secret cash in elections.
A Leader for LGBT Equality
- strongly that the right to marry is fundamental
- End workplace discrimination
- Helped to end “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.”