National Candidate Category: House of Representatives
Running for U.S. House, New York, District 19 , Zephyr Teachout grew up in a rural county a few hours from her current home in Dutchess County, NY, raised by parents who taught her to be independent. She is a reform-minded leader who has never been afraid of standing up to special interests and the political establishment, even members of her own party.
Campaign Finance & Corruption
- Fighting for public financing of elections.
- Working every day to overturn Citizens United.
- Closing the “revolving door,” in which elected representatives and senior staff sell off their legislative power for high-paying lobbying jobs. Stop them from negotiating jobs while in office, and once they leave, bar them from all lobbying activity for several years.
Protecting Public Education
- Stopping government overreach on local public education and demand that federal officials stop dictating how we educate our own children here in the Hudson Valley.
- Fighting against Common Core curriculum and oppressive high stakes testing.
- Ensuring parents and teachers are involved in the decisions affecting our children.
Fighting For Renewable Energy
- Adopting clean sources of energy by ending the intricate system of public subsidies that keeps dirty sources of energy artificially cheap, and instead promote renewable sources: solar, wind, and hydro.
- Protecting our waterways and drinking supply by reducing the risk of contamination, giving residents better information about existing risks and ensure that when contamination is found, the responsible parties are held accountable.
Small Business & Innovation
- Raising up the voices of small business owners to enforce antitrust laws that the federal government has too often failed to enforce.
- Supporting startup and mid-size companies by demanding better access to financing, better bankruptcy laws, and easier access to the technologies that have been locked away in giant incumbent companies.
- Stopping the Trans Pacific Partnership and rethinking trade and food systems that support local farmers and local innovation.
- Requiring the banks that we bailed to lend to the small farmer or business owner.
- Ensuring access to universal competitive broadband so that all small businesses throughout the Hudson Valley have the necessary tools they need to run a successful businesses and provide for their families.